Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Death and Birth

Today's post is a little more reflective than studious. Yesterday I was told that my friend and co-leader lost her son in a motorcycle accident.

As a mother I was instantly affected. My heart is broken for her. And for her 9 year old daughter who is my own daughter's friend. I ache for them both.

And it makes me wonder why... as I think anyone wonders, anyone asks, when they're faced with the death of someone so young. What is the purpose of a life lost before it has hardly begun?

But death has to happen, doesn't it?

So I read some Buddhist blogs on death and rebirth and I'm not sure anything can really answer that question of why. Why does my friend have to suffer the loss of her son? Why does my daughter's friend at 9 years old have to suffer the loss of her big brother? All of his friends and all of his family and even people who only knew of him through stories and pictures... why?

Maybe there is no reason. Maybe it just is. That's the best conclusion I can come to.

According to many Buddhists, Kyle has already started a new life, and did so the moment after he took his last breath. And maybe that's true... maybe Kyle has already been reborn. Maybe he is waiting, watching after his mother and sister and making sure they get through this grief. I like to think that's the case.

Today my husband's cousin and one of my closest friends gave birth to a baby boy. It was not an easy delivery and her baby was in distress. It was horribly scary, but both he and mom made it through in the end and both are healthy and safe. I was lucky enough to be there and able to see him shortly after his arrival. Such a fresh, beautiful face with so much promise and future.

I guess it just really makes me think... all this death and birth and rebirth. How amazing and precious life is. How no one is in control and it's all fragile.

It's been a long day. One mother is celebrating and one is mourning. It just leaves a lot to think about.

No comments: