Monday, August 25, 2008

Dhammapada Studies - Chapter 1, 1-5

I'm starting this blog to keep a bit of an online record of my studies. I plan to devote just a little bit of time when I can to furthering my studies and I plan to record my thoughts and notes here.

I'm starting by reading The Dhammapada. I'll be reading it slowly. I have lifetimes to complete my studies. :)

1.
Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with an impure mind a person speaks or acts suffering follows him like the wheel that follows the foot of the ox.

2.
Mind precedes all mental states. Mind is their chief; they are all mind-wrought. If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts happiness follows him like his never-departing shadow


Without a pure mind, suffering will always follow. With a pure mind, happiness will always follow. But how does one obtain a pure mind? Through meditation? Through studies?

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.
4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.
5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

This is where I will end today. I need to focus on hatred and abolishing it in my life. Hatred is never appeased by hatred.

I don't feel that I have a lot of hatred in my life. There aren't many things I truly hate. I'm sure there are people that harbor hatred for me. Maybe because I am too fat, too white, too female, whatever. If I can concentrate on spreading peace and not focusing on hating those people back but instead, having love for them, then I will be better for it. How does one find love in their heart for someone who spreads ignorance and hate?

No comments: